There are two basic types of visitor visas that are assigned to people travelling to the United States – B-1 and B-2.
If the purpose of visitors comes under the following list, they are granted B–1 visas.
- Temporary business
- Consulting with business associates
- Educational assignments or vocations
- Attending scientific, professional or business gatherings
- Settling an estate or negotiating contracts
Visitors are provided with B-2 visas if the purpose for their visit to the US is pleasure or therapeutic. This encompasses leisure which includes tourism, visits to friends or relations, medical treatment and activities of a fraternal, public or service nature.
Who is Eligible? :
To apply for a B-1or a B- 2 visa, one should convince the consular officer that the individual is eligible for a US visa in accordance with the US Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). According to Section 214(b) of the INA, it is deduced that every B-1/ B-2 candidate is an intending migrant. The legal presumptions can be stepped over by showing:
The reason for travel to the US
Assurance of your stay for that limited time
Proofs of the funds that will cover your expenses while you stay in the United States
Proof of residence outside the United States along with socio-economic ties which will guarantee your return after the visit
Applying for Visa:
- For Nonimmigrant Visa Applicants:
a) Determine your visa
b) According to the situation, choose the type of visa
c) If your country is a part of the Visa Waiver Program, no need to apply for a visa if you are travelling for business or leisure and also if your stay in the country is 90 days or less.
d) You can obtain the visa directly without coming to the consulate, if the candidate is under 14 or over 79 years of age. This also applies in case the candidate has received a visa for the same country previously, which has not expired in 48 months or 12 months and the individual is returning to US for the same travel reason.
- Complete the Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) form. If the visa has been denied previously, the candidate must apply again in a new Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application.
- Pay the visa fee after the candidate has determined the correct visa type and completed DS- 160.
- Get ready to schedule a visa appointment!
- For the appointment at the Visa Application Centre, the candidate must bring:
a) A valid passport with validity dates at least six months ahead of the intended period stay in the US.
b) Confirmed DS-160 page
c) Appointment Confirmation page
d) Photographs as per US visa Specifications
- After the Visa Application Centre, candidate must go to US Embassy with:
a) A printed copy of the appointment letter
b) DS- 160 confirmation page
c) Existing and all the old passports
d) Supporting documents according to the type of visa
Documents to be submitted:
- Existing proof of income, tax payments, property or business ownership or asset
- Travel itinerary and/or other clarification about your planned trip
- Letter from employer stating your salary, position and your duration of employment and mentioning if the trip is work related
- A character certificate stating clean criminal records
- Students should bring school results degrees/diplomas and bank statement proofs, FD slips or any other evidences.
- Working adults must bring an employment letter and pay slips of last three months
- Business visitors must bring evidence of your position in the company
- Relatives must bring the relationship proofs
- Previous visitors must bring documents attesting immigration or visa position
Documents of the candidate looking for medical cures in US:
- Medical Diagnosis from the local physician
- Letter from the physician or hospital stating the willingness to treat the candidate
- Statement of financial liability from the individual or association paying all the medical expenses and living expenses. Proofs of bank statements of income/ savings even income tax returns copies are also accepted