(!) IMPORTANT (!) For Long term applications you must visit the Migration Office in person on the date and time of your appointment with your relevant documents.
Long – term Residence Permit (permanent)
(1) A long-term residence permit shall be issued by the governorates, upon
approval of the Ministry, to foreigners that have continuously resided in Turkey
for at least eight years on a permit or, foreigners that meet the conditions set
out by the Migration Policies Board.
(2) Refugees, conditional refugees and subsidiary protection beneficiaries as well as persons under temporary protection or humanitarian residence permit holders are not entitled to the right of transfer to a long-term residence permit.
Conditions for long-term residence permit
(1) With regard to the issuing long-term residence permit the following conditions shall apply:
a) having continues residence in Turkey for at least eight years;
b) not having received social assistance in the past three years;
c) having sufficient and stable income to maintain themselves or, if any, support their family;
ç) to be covered with a valid medical insurance;
d) not to be posing a public order or public security threat.
Rights conferred by a long-term residence permit
(1) Without prejudice to acquired rights with respect to social security, and subject to conditions stipulated in applicable legislation governing the enjoyment of rights, foreigners holding a long-term residence permit shall benefit from the same rights as accorded to Turkish citizens with the exception of the provisions in laws regulating specific areas, and of:
a) compulsory military service;
b) the right of vote and be elected;
c) entering public service;
ç) exemption from customs duties when importing vehicles.
(2) The Council of Ministers is authorised to partially or completely restrict the rights listed in the first paragraph.
Cancelation of long-term residence permits
(1) Under the following cases a long-term residence permit shall be cancelled when the foreigner:
a) poses a serious public security or public order threat;
b) stays out of Turkey continuously for more than one year for reasons other than health, education and compulsory public service in his/her country.
The principles and procedures governing the re-application for a long-term residence permit and assessment of the applications of foreigners whose long-term residence permit has been cancelled pursuant to subparagraph (b) of the first paragraph shall be stipulated in a Directive.
Please note; Interruption to the residency
If you stay outside of Turkey for a period of more than 6 months within 1 year or more within the last 5 years. This will be classed as ‘interruptions’ and will not be counted towards your 8-year residency permit. Also any residency previously acquired before the interruptions will not be counted.