Carer visa (subclass 836)
This visa is for someone in Australia who needs one of the following:
- to care for a relative in Australia with a long-term or permanent medical condition
- to assist a relative providing this care to a member of their family unit with a long-term or permanent medical condition.
You might be eligible for this visa if:
- you have a relative in Australia who needs assistance due to a long-term or permanent medical condition
- your relative has arranged an assessment with Bupa Medical Visa Services
- there is no one else in Australia who can provide the care or assistance
- you are willing and able to assist your relative
- you are sponsored by your relative or their partner.
The Carer Visa allows Australian permanent residents and citizens with a disability to sponsor relatives to live permanently in Australia to take care of them.
Due to the low number of places available in the migration program for this type of visa, waiting times may be very long.
Sponsorship by a Relative in Australia
The applicant must be related to an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or an eligible New Zealand Citizen. The following relatives are eligible to sponsor for the Carer Visa:
- Brothers and Sisters
- Aunts & uncles
- Nieces & nephews
- Grandchildren or grandparents.
This includes half and step-relatives and relatives that have been adopted. The partner of one of the above relatives is also eligible to be the sponsor.
In order to sponsor for an Aged Dependent Relative visa, the sponsor must be over 18 and “settled” in Australia (this generally means having lived here for at least the last 2 years).
Relative Requiring Care
The visa applicant must be sponsored to take care of the Australian relative, or a member of the relative’s family unit. The care must be shown to be necessary for at least the next 2 years.
Before proceeding with the application, the person requiring care must be assessed by an approved doctor as needing care due to a particular medical condition. The relative will need to demonstrate a condition resulting in an impairment of at least 30/100 and as a result requires assistance with daily care.
You must also show that the assistance cannot reasonably be provided by other Australian relatives or by Australian health or community services.
There is no age limitation for this type of visa.
Assurance of Support
An assurance of support is required in all cases.
Duration and Conditions
Results in the grant of a permanent visa with a travel facility valid for 5 years from date of grant.