How To Sponsor A Relative While In Canada


How to sponsor a spouse, common-law partner or dependent child while in Canada?

Who can sponsor?

To sponsor a relative from inside the Canada the following eligibility criteria has to be met:

  • He/she should be 18 years of age or above
  • He/she should be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
  • The person to be sponsored should be a spouse or common-law partner or accompanying dependent child, in-Canada class.
  • He/she should be residing in Canada and should continue to stay in Canada even after the sponsored person gets PR status
  • He/she and their spouse or common-law partner have to sign an agreement stating that they both understand the sponsor’s limitations and responsibilities
  • He/she has to sign an undertaking promising to support the basic needs of the spouse, common-law partner or accompanying dependent child
  • He/she has to give a declaration that they have sufficient earnings to provide basic necessities for the dependent child. This clause is only applicable if the sponsor decides to support a dependent child.

Important Points:

  • 5-year Sponsorship Bar– In case someone enters Canada as a sponsored spouse or partner then they are not eligible to sponsor a new spouse or partner for a minimum period of 5 years from the date they arrived in Canada.
  • Conditional PR:– All those entering Canada as a sponsored spouse or partner, are subject to 24 months of conditional permanent resident status. (Exceptions are there.)
  • Work Permits– Sponsored spouse or common-law partner is eligible to work while their sponsorship application is processed


Who is a spouse or common-law partner?

For the purpose of sponsorship, the spouse and common-law partners or accompanying dependent child must:

  • Live with the sponsor in Canada
  • Have a valid passport
  • Should be 18 years of age or above

Spouse is someone who is—

  • Married to you.
  • Of opposite or same-sex.
  • In case you got married in Canada then a marriage certificate from the province or territory where you got married has to be produced. If both were married outside of Canada then a valid legal document needs to be submitted.
  • If you were married in an embassy or consulate, the marriage must be legal according to the country where the embassy or consulate is located.

Common-Law Partner is someone who is –

  • Of opposite or same sex.
  • Staying with you in a conjugal relationship for 12 months continuously, without any gap

Dependent child is –

  • Your own child or of the person you are sponsoring
  • He/she should be less than 19 years of age
  • Should nothave a spouse or common-law partner
  • Has to be depended considerably on the monetary support of a parent & is not capable to support themselves due to any medical condition.
  • You can act as a sponsor if your spouse, common-law, or an accompanying dependent child lives with you in Canada, even if they are not authorized to live legally in Canada.

What about conjugal partners?

The category is applicant to the partners who are residing outside of Canada.

The Process

The sponsorship application has 2 parts:

  • File an application to sponsor your spouse, common-law partner or an accompanying dependent child.
  • The sponsored spouse or common-law partner has to apply for the permanent residence.
Tags: , , ,

One thought on “How to sponsor a relative while in Canada

    October 21, 2016 at 12:38 pm

    Your attention to detail puts you at the top. Superb website

    Log in to Reply

Leave a Reply