Student Visa Requirements / Visa Procedure For Australia

Time: NA
Fees: NA

Student Visa Requirements / Visa Procedure For Australia

You need to apply for a student visa. To be granted a student visa you must complete a visa application form, lodge it with the evidence required, pay the application charge and satisfy the student visa requirements. You can be granted a student visa only if you intend to study a registered course on a full-time basis and meet with a number of visa conditions after you have entered Australia.

To be granted a student visa you must satisfy the visa requirements and meet with a number of visa conditions for attendance and academic performance which come into effect after your entry in Australia. Your Student (Temporary) Visa will list the conditions that apply specifically to you. It is important to meet with your visa conditions to avoid visa cancellation. Student visa information on this website is an outline only and subject to change. For more detailed, accurate and up-to-date information on student visas and visa requirements please check with a good student visa consultant at

The Student (Temporary) Visa has separate sub-classes for each education sector. You should apply under the visa sub-class for your principal course of study.

Student visa sub-classes

Subclass 570 Independent ELICOS Sector
For international students undertaking ELICOS (English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students) as a stand-alone course, and not as a prerequisite to commencing another course (for example, a degree course)
Subclass 571 Schools
International students applying to study in Australia and whose main course of study is:

  • a primary school course
  • a secondary school course, including junior and senior secondary or
  • an approved secondary school exchange program
Subclass 572 Vocational education and training (VET) sector
Covers Certificate I, II, III and IV, Diploma and Advanced Diploma
Subclass 573 Higher education sector
Covers a Bachelor degree, Graduate certificate, and Graduate diploma
Subclass 574 Masters and Ph.D. sector
Covers a Masters degree by coursework or by research, and a Ph.D. degree
Subclass 575 Non-award foundation studies/other sector
Covers foundation, bridging or other courses that do not lead to the award of a degree, diploma or other formal award
Subclass 576 AusAID or Defence sponsored sector
Covers full-time study undertaken by AusAID or Defence-sponsored students for the whole or part of an education or training course offered by an Australian education provider

Common student visa requirements

  • You are of good character
  • You are of sound health
  • You have acceptable health insurance through the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for yourself and members of your family unit accompanying you to Australia
  • You have no outstanding debts to the Commonwealth of Australia, or have made arrangements acceptable to the Minister to repay such a debt
  • If assessed at level 1 or 2, or you are in Australia under any assessment level, an electronic confirmation of enrolment (eCoE) certificate is required before you lodge your application and a copy is to be furnished with your application
  • If you are outside Australia and assessed at level 3 you will need an ‘offer of a place in a course’ letter from your Australian education provider at the time you lodge your application.
  • An electronic confirmation of enrolment (eCoE) certificate issued by your education provider before you lodge your application if you are requested by the Australian embassy to do so. GeeBee can help you with this.

Common visa conditions

  • You must satisfy attendance and course requirements and maintain a valid enrolment for your course
  • You must not work unless you have special permission
  • You must maintain your Overseas Student Health (OSHC) cover while in Australia
  • You must leave Australia before your visa expires
  • You must remain with the education provider you originally enrolled with for the first year of your course or, if the course is less than 12 months, for the duration of your course
  • You must advise your education provider of your residential address within 7days of your arrival in Australia and must advise any address change
  • If you change education provider you must inform your current education provider within 7 days of issue of an eCoE

Visa application forms

Application for a student (temporary) visa Click Here

Country assessment levels

Each education sector in each country is rated according to 3 Assessment Levels based on the levels of students not meeting with their visa conditions. The visa requirements or Evidentiary Standards you must satisfy are increasingly difficult from Assessment Level 1 through to Assessment Level 3. Further information on country assessment levels can be found at the Australian Immigration website.

Evidentiary standards/Assessment Factors

  • Financial ability to cover air fares, tuition fees and other expenses related to your education and stay in Australia
  • English language proficiency
  • likely compliance with visa conditions
  • any other relevant matters such as age, academic background and usefulness of course for employment and immigration history
  • capacity to support any family unit members for the duration of your stay in Australia
  • the specific provisions for each of these depend upon the country assessment level and are described on the Australian Immigration Website

Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment

An Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) is issued by your Australian education provider and is the only accepted evidence of enrolment for processing student visa applications. Contingent on your country of nationality and your principal course of study you have to apply under the appropriate assessment level after an institution issues an eCoE. The institution will advise you of its requirements but generally it will require payment of at least one semester of course fees before issuing an eCoE. A copy of your eCoE will be submitted for getting a student visa.


Leave a Reply