A foreign student who wants to study in Italy will have to avail the Italy student visa. If a student opts for a course or program that does not extend beyond 90 days, he or she will require a Schengen visa or short stay visa. However, if the student opts for a course or program that lasts for more than 90 days, he or she will have to obtain long term student visa or national visa (NV).
Italy student visa in an entry visa and a student will need to obtain a “permit to stay” after arriving in Italy.
Eligibility criteria for Italy student visa
To be eligible for Italy student visa you must fulfil the following conditions:
- You must provide the official letter of acceptance issued by an Italian university confirming your admission to the course
- You must have a valid passport with at least two blank visa pages
- Your passport must have a validity that exceeds the duration of the visa you are applying for by at least 3 months
- Your passport must have been issued within the previous 10 years
- You must have a copy of your completed and signed visa application form
- You must provide proof of your financial ability so as to support yourself financially during your entire period of study in Italy.
- You must provide a copy of your flight itinerary. This is required to confirm the details of your return tickets to your home country as one-way tickets are unacceptable
- You must provide a recent statement of your financial situation from your bank, duly signed by a bank official.
- You must provide proof of having obtained valid health and medical insurance that covers the entire duration of your stay in Italy.
- You must not have a criminal record
- You must not have been refused entry into Italy previously
- You intend to leave Italy at the end of your authorized stay
Steps to follow to apply for Italy student visa
You will have to apply at the Italian Embassy or Consulate for the student visa. After you receive the letter of acceptance or letter of admission for your intended course of study, you can check your eligibility for obtaining an Italian student visa and then go ahead with the below mentioned procedure.
Step 1: Get the student visa application form
As the first step of your visa application procedure,
you need to obtain the student visa application form. You can download the form from the internet.
Step 2: Fill up the student visa application form
Carefully fill out the details required in the visa application form.
Step 3: Gather the required documents for student visa application
Make a check list of all the documents needed for submission along with your visa application form at the Italian Embassy or Consulate. Gather all the documents and keep them ready for submission.
Step 4: Provide photograph for your student visa application
Make sure that you provide your recent colour photograph for the student visa application. Your photograph must match or correspond to all the specifications required for student visa photographs. In any case, your photograph must not be more than 6 months old.
Step 5: Schedule an appointment
Schedule an appointment with the visa application centre in order to submit your application form.
Step 6: Submit your student application form
Submit your visa application form along with the required documents and application fees at the Italian Consulate. Remember to carry the original copies of all supporting documents. After you submit your application form and pay the visa application fee, you will be issued an acknowledgement receipt for your submission.
Step 7: Track your student application form
You can keep track of the progress of your student visa application through online tracking, messaging service, phone call to the application centre or through email.
Step 8: Collect your student visa
You can opt to have your student visa delivered to you through courier service or you can personally collect your student visa directly from the Italian Embassy by showing the original acknowledgement receipt issued to you. In case you send someone else to collect the visa on your behalf, he or she will have to carry the following documents:
- Original acknowledgement receipt
- Letter of authority mentioning the name of your representative and bearing your signature
- Photo ID proof of the representative
- Your passport copy for signature verification
Required fees for Italy student visa
Application fees for Italy student visa – EUR 116 (INR 7,832.41)
- Your application fee will not be refunded if your application for student visa is refused or rejected for any reason.
- The conversion into Indian currency is based on current conversion rates, which may change.
- The visa application fee is subject to change at any time.
Italy student visa exemption program
Citizens of the following countries do not require a visa to stay and study in Italy for a period of up to 90 days.
|Albania||Andorra||Antigua and Barbuda|
|Costa Rica||Croatia||El Salvador|
|Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM)||Guatemala||Honduras|
|New Zealand||Nicaragua||Northern Marianas|
|Panama||Paraguay||Saint Kitts and Nevis|
|South Korea||Taiwan||United States|
Nationals of San Marino, the Holy See and Switzerland also do not require visas to visit Italy for up to 90 days.
Dos and Don’ts for Italy student visa
You must remember the following dos and don’ts while applying for Italy student visa.
- Apply for a student visa soon after you receive the official letter of acceptance from your hosting Italian university
- Fill up your application form carefully with all accurate details
- Bring original copies and photocopies of all supporting documents when you come to submit your visa application form at the Italian Embassy or Consulate
- Do not present false documents for your student visa
- Do not hide or misrepresent facts in your application