A total of 315,857 H1B Visas were issued to the Indian migrants in the Financial Year of 2014 which included the initial as well as continuing employment. Out of all the visas issued, 138K H1B statuses got renewed in the United States. This is a huge number of people who has to undergo the entire process of applying for the visa and then visiting a US consulate to get their passports stamped.
For the US visa renewals and approvals, Canada has been a popular destination. The applicants from the west coast and east coast residents usually prefer Vancouver and Toronto and yet there are five other consulates across Canada for the USA which can be chosen- Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City, Halifax, and Calgary.
Let us go through the following steps regarding the renewal of H1B visa in Canada:-
Obtain Canada Visitor Visa: Required before traveling to Canada. The process to get the visitor visa can be completed within 15 to 20 days. Fill the online application, pay the fee, and wait for the approval via e-mail.
DS-160 form: to apply for a renewal this form must be filled. Provide information about your personal, work, and education.
- Have a soft copy of the recent photo (not older than 6 months).
- For information regarding your travel, provide a tentative schedule with the address of the hotel you have picked to stay. It should be in the city of a consulate.
- While filling the mentioned form chose a consulate. Change of consulate can be done if the dates are unavailable. Edit your DS 160 and reflect the specific consulate. The form can be edited within first 30 days.
- Carry a hard copy of DS-160 confirmation page.
Schedule an appointment: Plan your dates for an appointment. Keep a track on cancellations of other appointments. Get a confirmed appointment and pay the MRV fees. An e-mail confirmation will be given which you must carry for the interview.
Required documents: Carry the following documents for the renewal of H1B visa:
- A valid passport
- DS-160 confirmation page
- Visa application fees receipt
- Original Non-immigrant Visa Petition Approval Notice (Form I-797)
- Copy of your employer’s Non-immigrant Visa Petition filed with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services on your behalf
- Copy of Your Two Most Recent pay slips
- Original employment verification letter. Not older than 30 days.
- A copy of I-140 Immigration petition for Alien worker (required if one is renewing his H1B visa beyond 6 years).
Visa interview: The interview questions depend on every individual’s case. But the most commonly asked questions are:
- Show me your EVL/LCA letter?
- What is the purpose of your visit to the consulate?
- What is your designation and describe your work/project?
- What is your salary?
- What is your educational qualification?
- Did you do your Masters in the US? If yes! Where and when?
- Are you working at client’s place?
- How long have you been working with this employer?
Passport tracking and pickup: Once the interview is over, the visa officer will inform you if the visa is approved or denied. If approved one can track his/her passport status or one may get an e-mail regarding the pickup of the passport from the consulate. It generally takes 2 to 3 business days.