According to the Fiji laws and regulations, any foreigner intends to work in Fiji must obtain a long term work permit except for those categories specified in the Laws and regulation of Fiji. The Long-term permit applies to positions lasting more than six months while working in Fiji. Any individual wishing to live and work in Fiji must demonstrate that a Fijian employer requires the foreigner to execute the job.
Therefore, for all kinds of work permits, the Fiji Department of Immigration demands a letter of request from the local employer, detailing why the foreigner is uniquely qualified for the job.
Though the process for acquiring a work permit for Fiji can unfortunately be a complicated one and FiJi authorities can be inefficient at times.
- Any foreigner wishing to work in Fiji for more than six months must obtain a long term work Permit.
- You will need to get a security clearance from the State Security Service in Fiji.
- You will also need to provide proof of a clean bill of health.
- This includes undergoing an HIV test.
- A person can acquire the work permit application form from the Fiji Department of Immigration
- For those workers who might not be in Fiji, their employer will obtain the form for them.
- All applicants will have to provide numerous documents to support their application.
- Scanned copy of your passport’s bio data page (the page with your photo).
- Your profession.
- Estimated date of arrival.
- Payment proof.
- Police clearance record certificate
- Medical records showing your health
- Proof of payment of requisite Fees
- Employer’s letter to the immigration department why you fit for that Job.
First thing to be done : Documents to be submitted to the Fiji immigration Department starting that the Company will sponsor the expatriate and there is no any other person fit for the Job from the Locals of Fiji. An updated version of the company’s commercial register prove that the company is existing in the country. The company’s tax card for clearing taxes to the Government of Fiji.
Step 1: in order to apply for a long work permit the applicant must have a job offer from a Fiji company.
Step 2: the company initiates the process by applying to the Fiji Immigration Department for a long term work visa approval, providing a copy of the applicant’s passport, an invitation letter prepared by the company, and the required fees. A power of attorney to be issued by the company in favour of the officer who will carry out the work permit procedures on behalf of the company.
Step 3: The Fuji immigration work department approves the application, and sends a copy to the immigration to the ministry of Labour in Fiji.
Step 4: Fiji immigration department prepares the actual “work visa approval” and faxes a copy to the Fiji embassy in the applicant’s country of origin.
Step 5: the applicant visits the embassy, pays the appropriate fees, and secures the visa stamp in his or her passport.
- Valid passport
- Seven passport photos
- Two copies of employer’s incorporation contract
- Two copies of Tax ID card
- Two copies of academic qualifications (university degrees etc.)
- Copy of commercial register from employer
- Licenses required for practicing profession
- Letter from employer detailing why it was necessary to hire a foreigner
- Approval from relevant authority related to profession
- A representative from employer who will sponsor the work permit
- Negative HIV test
- Approval Letter of records from Fiji police or Interpol record certificate.
Requisite fees (averaging $650);
- Although fees are listed in U.S. dollars, payment must be made using local currency.
- You can pay your fee at any Post Fiji in Fiji or Western Union in the rest of Fiji’s Consular District.
It is valid for 2 years, after which you will have to renew it. Most employers will take care of renewing this process.
The process can take up to six months so you should plan accordingly.